Friday, August 12, 2005

Barstool Anthropology

So there I was, there I was, at my neighborhood watering hole last night and while the barkeep was jabbering with some folks he glanced in my direction. Unfortunately he didn't notice my empty pint glass so while smiling I said, "Sir . . . " with an implied ellipses of "I'd like your attention please."
 
He sorta came to attention like his mom suddenly walked into the room and asked me what I needed and I ordered another. As he placed the full pint in front of me he asked if I was from the East Coast. When I asked what gave it away he replied that only younger people from the East Coast address peers with, "Sir or Ma'am" in social situations or business transactions.
 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have thought Southerners do too, but also the children of military parents. I think it's dying out, otherwise.

In Scotland it's " 'Scuse Me" if you're lucky or "Haw, mister/lassie/missus" otherwise.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, did not realise you were blogging here again! Playing catch-up now. Hello!

:-D

Fiona

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home