Friday, June 17, 2005

Stolen Goods

I’d say that about eighty percent of all the drama in my life is a direct result of my actions or more appropriately, my inaction. I am the major procrastinator, the sergeant of sloth and today proved to be no different.

As I was entering the building from our parking area (that’s under the building and accessed by a remote control gate) there was a sign posted on the door that stated that a 1991 Honda, without an alarm, had been stolen from the property last night. I turned around and yep they got my steal-of-a-deal, $25 mountain bike that I bought off Craigslist. I had the $21.99
Kryptonite lock in my car but hadn’t employed it yet. The bikes that weren’t locked to a solid, stationary item but just had a locked weaved in between the frame and tires all remained untouched.

I can just hear my father, “What are you simple? All you had to do was take five minutes and just lock up the bike. Is that so hard?”

I didn’t even ride the damn thing yet.

I hope who ever stole my bike; actually, I’m not going to finish this sentence. If they’re living a life that includes stealing cars and bikes it’s probably bad enough.


It's like Goonies when Brand yanks the little neighbor girl off her bike and she stomps in cirlces, "My bike, my bike, gimme back my bike!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer!

I suppose one of the benefits of growing up on an island where petty crime was endemic was that I learned to lock my bike as a reflex at a very early age. At University I'd pop my bike's lights off and drop them in my backpack before going into the library. Those with swankier bikes would pop off the easy-off saddles and front wheels, chaining them together so they wouldn't be nicked. Wheels!

Sorry to hear about the bike. It wasn't your car though?

6:08 AM  
Blogger Information Concierge said...

Nope, not my car, though I am now the proud owner of a new club, for the second time in my life. My apt at 16th & Green was in a much more skethchier neighborhood where I'm sure more cars were stolen and vandalized but still a visual deterrent can't be a bad thing. Although I'm hoping the significant dents is deterrent enough.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home