Thursday, January 19, 2006

Snow


As it's not Chinese New Year yet I'm not feeling overwhelmed by the new year. Or does that logic only work if you're Chinese?

In addition to not thinking about the new year yet I also don't make resolutions. Who ever keeps those? I make goals. They seem much more obtainable.

I've gotten a jump start on one of my goals for the new year by being more active. That doesn't necessary mean exercise but walking to more places, I'm on the hunt for my third bike and so on.

For the past two consecutive Sundays I've gone on day hikes within San Diego county.

The first was up the northeast ascent of Cowle's Mountain. It's the highest peak in San Diego. The guide book claims that on a clear day you can see nearly up to San Clemente (a quaint beach town an hour north). It was a hazy day and we couldn't even see the ocean. It's three miles round trip and very, very steep.

The week's Sunday took us to the Laguna Mountains to Cleaveland National Forest, forty-minutes away from San Diego proper. We were at 6000 ft. elevation and we weren't prepared for the 32 degree weather. That's right, 32 degrees and there was snow on the ground. In San Diego!


Completely unprepared, I had to stop at the general store and buy fleece pants and gloves to keep warm. Lucky for me they were black stretchy gloves with snowflakes on them. I did get learn where Mount Laguna Lodge is. I've great things about these tiny cabins and now know exactly where it's located.

The scenery made it all worth it. Our small group of four are all from the northeast and there was a comfort being in landscape like that.


Disclaimer: We posed the photo. However, the snow was very close to the cactus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home