Friday, September 09, 2005

I a pod, You a pod, Everywhere an iPod

This birthday I wanted to be a hobbit more than ever. Not just so I could live in Jackson’s rendition of Bag End but because with one step closer to (gasp) 30 I really wanted to focus on all that was good in my life.

It was surprisingly easy to think of what’s going right. My times have changes – a testament that the next decade isn’t anything to fear at all.

And while I was busy waxing philosophical I was showered with ridiculously thoughtful presents from family and friends. I also treated myself to a trip to San Francisco, where I met up with a good friend where it was officially declared for all to hear, “I will live in San Francisco before I die.” We were so busy having fun that not a single shot was snapped of us together.

Upon my return what was waiting for me from my dear, oh-so-tech-savvy friends in Phoenixville, PA, but a brand new shiny, silver mp3 player. Not just any mp3 player, but yes, the Holy Grail of electronic consumerism, an iPod Mini.

Congratulations to Julie and Kev Duffy who achieved the rare accomplishment of rendering me speechless.

One of the many reasons I’m lucky to have them in my life is that Dr. Duffy is my personal Consumer Reports for all things tech. I tell him how much I have to spend, outline my needs and I have a trustworthy endorsement who stands nothing to gain, other than a few less phone calls to Duffy IT Support.

The little brown box arrived from Amazon.com to work and I immediately called the family Duffy the say thank you.

And Julie said, “Now you’ll have to get into podcasting.”

I think I mumbled, “Yeah” or something. Not really sure what she meant. All I could think of was creating a playlist for skating (which I’m still perfecting). My family isn’t tech savvy so the only personal podcasts I expected was more of her sons singing (I got a personal Happy Birthday song from Angus the Great) but now, quite accidentally, while listening to the World Café Archives, sitting there quietly above-the-fold it read: “Subscribe to our new podcast: World Cafe Shortcuts”.

And then since World Café is broadcast on PRI, I realized I can get podcasts for all sorts of programs on NPR that are illegal for me to stream at work. Of course, my coworker achieves this with a radio walkman and uses earth friendly rechargeable batteries, but he’s limited to the local San Diego NPR station.

But wait! A few searches yielded whole directories of podcasts!

Sadly, two of the shows I first searched for available podcasts, Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk, are only available through an audible.com paid subscription.

If I hadn’t been so behind the technical curve I would have bought an mp3 player while living in the fourth tier radio market known as Hawaii. In fact I think Apple should donate millions to the residents of the Aloha State because access to music and ideas are a necessity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Carol:

I love my iPod! Welcome to Trish, Reenie and my world! You are now an iGeek (or iWhore depending on our mood of the day)! Actually, you are more of an iGeek than I am because I have not gotten into podcasting at all! I still haven't figured it out exactly. I'm not a big talk show person, but I understand there are shows that podcast new music or up and coming artists. I'd like to find some of those. If you, or anyone reading this, has any podcast suggestions, I could always branch out. I mean, if Carol now has an iPod, it's time for change all over! :)

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home